Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pump up the Jam - skating rink style

I'm listening to one of those cable music stations - the good ones, not like crappy VH1. This one is dedicated to one of the best decades of music ever. Yes, folks, I mean the 90's. It's the best station to listen to for a few reasons.
1) I know most, if not all , of the songs played & can thus sing them all shamelessly.
2) It's that weird mix of pop, rock, grunge, pseudo-Techno, ballads, and alternative that helped define a better part of me. Seriously- what memory comes to your mind when you hear Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" ?

My father-in-law is coming to visit this weekend, and his timing is perfect. I say that with sarcasm dripping at the corners. My long range plans are due tomorrow, but they won't be turned in simply because I'm not finished and I refuse to kill myself over them. I am having to clean our pig sty of an apartment by myself since dear husband is working his last night shift rotation for the next six weeks. I have lesson plans for next week that need to be completed (I would like to do them now & not have to worry about them over the weekend, but oh well). I'm going to have a crap ton of papers to grade. I need to buy a new shower curtain liner because the one in the guest bathroom is pretty skanky looking, plus I need to buy a few groceries for Saturday morning breakfast. ... the list goes on.

I was looking forward to having a weekend with Matthew all to myself now that he can start keeping a normal sleeping schedule. But - that is not to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my FiL. He's a great guy- funny, generous, very unpretentious. Though it does bother me that his wife (my stepMiL) hasn't come down here except for our wedding two years ago. I asked Matthew if she was coming and he said, "Probably not. If she did, they'd be staying in a hotel and not with us." Which kind of hurt my feelings a little bit. We seem to get along great, and she's never been anything but kind to me, but I can't help but feel sort of - oh, I don't know- inferior or something. But instead of overanalyzing it, I'll consider it her loss and assume that it's because of her OCD that she is not coming down. Who knows the real reason.

So, back to the 90's music. I mentioned it because I am currently in the process of cleaning my apartment and excellent 90's music seemed to be the action soundtrack that I needed to motivate me. I can totally vacuum the entire house if I can do it to LL Cool J's "Round the Way Girl". Couldn't you??

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi there,
Thanks so much for your kind comment... It means a lot that you check in on my chaos regularly :) And I'm so glad that you're starting a blog of your own. It's sometimes a struggle to be completely honest when you know that people are out there reading (or if your hubby or coworkers find it... ouch), but it's great to be able to just spew it out. I've bookmarked you on my sidebar - I hope you don't mind :)
So glad we've reconnected...

Unknown said...

Hey- I'm loving the blog. And I can relate to this post--big time.

Christine said...

Oh, 90s music! And, unlike that crappy VH1 list that always has Nirvana at #1, it was good stuff, stuff that is in the good memory section of brain.

Unlike Hanson, which, unfortunately, was played way too much one night last November. :)

As for LRPs, we have not had a date given to us yet, so none of us are worried about it yet. We mention them in hushed whispers in the lounge, but not outright. We'd all deny it.